Tips for a Comfortable and Successful Orthodontic Journey
At our orthodontic office, we understand that getting braces can be a big physical and mental adjustment. That’s why we’re committed to providing our patients with the guidance and support they need for a comfortable and successful orthodontic journey. Here are some tips for making the most of life with braces:
Eating with Braces
- Stick to soft, easy-to-chew foods like mashed potatoes, yogurt, and soup in the first few days after getting braces.
- Avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that can damage or dislodge your braces, such as popcorn, nuts, and gum.
- Cut food into small, bite-sized pieces and chew with your back teeth to avoid damaging your braces.
Oral Hygiene with Braces
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, paying extra attention to the areas around your braces and the spaces between your teeth.
- Use an interdental brush or floss threader to clean between your teeth and under your braces.
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating to help dislodge any food particles stuck in your braces.
Dealing with Discomfort
- Use orthodontic wax to cover any brackets or wires causing irritation or discomfort.
- Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater to soothe sore spots.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen as directed to alleviate any discomfort.
By following these tips and staying in touch with your orthodontist, you can have a comfortable and successful orthodontic journey with braces.