Having braces doesn't necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today's braces are made from either clear or natural tooth colored materials to provide patients with an attractive “clear choice,” that is comfortable, confident, and less noticeable than traditional braces!
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners, or Invisalign®, is different from clear braces. Clear aligners are a series of custom-made aligners made from hard, smooth, nearly invisible plastic material that you wear over your teeth. They gradually and gently shift your teeth into place, similar to how braces and wires work to align your teeth. You ‘pop’ in a new set of aligners every week until your treatment is completed! Clear aligners are great for patients with mild to moderate orthodontic problems, or for patients that braces may pose an inference in your daily life!
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and your orthodontist will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
- Cost: At Hardy Orthodontics, clear braces do not cost more than traditional metal braces! Dr. Lou and Dr. Jamie feel strongly that you should feel comfortable & confident about your smile during treatment, and they want you to be able to choose the right type of braces for your needs & lifestyle at no additional cost!
- Age: Traditionally, clear braces were only offered to older teens and adults. At Hardy Orthodontics, we provide children, teens, and adults with the choice of braces that fits your needs and lifestyle!
Disadvantages to clear braces:
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or wine, and eat certain foods or smoke. Ask your orthodontist about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Treatment Time: Orthodontic treatment with clear or ceramic braces may take longer than with traditional metal braces. If you don't mind investing a little more time in your smile, then talk to your orthodontist to find out how long your treatment time will be with clear or ceramic braces.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking to your orthodontist, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Your orthodontist can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about clear braces, ceramic braces, and all of the options available to you, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment today.