Taking care of your teeth and gums is important at any age, but it’s especially crucial when you have braces. Braces can trap food particles and make it harder to clean your teeth, which can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral health problems. Here are some tips for brushing and flossing with braces:
Brushing with Braces
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth at least twice a day, paying special attention to the areas around your brackets and wires.
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and use gentle circular motions to clean your teeth and braces.
- Rinse your mouth with water after brushing to remove any lingering food particles.
Flossing with Braces
- Use an orthodontic floss threader to guide floss under your wires and between your teeth.
- Gently move the floss up and down between your teeth, taking care not to dislodge your wires or brackets.
- Rinse your mouth with water after flossing to remove any remaining food particles.
By following these tips and staying consistent with your oral hygiene routine, you can keep your teeth and gums healthy while undergoing orthodontic treatment with braces. Don’t hesitate to ask your orthodontist for more guidance on brushing and flossing with braces.